moving on

It’s starting to get around, because my co-workers are bad at secrets, so I’ll summarize for “the record”.

I’ve decided that it’s time for me to move on from the Mozilla Corporation, where I have enjoyed 6 years surrounded by incredible people doing incredible things on (and to) the web. I haven’t yet decided what’s next, though I have some exciting opportunities to explore. I am still truly, madly, deeply in love with Mozilla and the web it is building, and grateful for the opportunities that it’s created for me.

I have lots, lots, lots to say about my history with Mozilla and what I think the future holds, but that’s for later. This week is about enjoying the company of my Mozilla family, and celebrating the incredible honour it’s been to work here for the last 6 years. And maybe some sniffling.

26 comments to “moving on”

1. Mike Hoye
    entered 15 September 2011 @ 12:12 pm

Thanks for everything.

2. Mike Beltzner
    entered 15 September 2011 @ 12:18 pm

There are few easy ways to sum up your impact on the web, on Mozilla, and on your colleagues. Sometimes it was like a brick through a plate glass window, sometimes it was like ripples on the water. All the time it was done with love and humanity. I’m honoured to have been able to work with you at Mozilla, and to count you as a good friend.

Looking forward to see what you get yourself up to next!

3. jmm
    entered 15 September 2011 @ 12:26 pm

I caught wind of this earlier today! No matter where you end up, I’m sure it will be spectacular, and I wish you the best of luck there and on the way there!

4. entered 15 September 2011 @ 12:29 pm

Congratulations Mike. Onwards and upwards.

5. entered 15 September 2011 @ 12:36 pm

to keep it short, Mike, when I think Mozillian, I see you. You embody everything that Mozilla is for me: it’s unique value, passion, personal touch, powerful yet sensitive geekness, courage and compassion.

I hope you’ll stay close and I’m sure that your next big thing will be very Mozillian :)

6. Gijs
    entered 15 September 2011 @ 12:47 pm

There is a time for everything, as they say, but you will be missed! I still have lots of happy memories of 2006 and working on JS debugging under your mentoring. Looking forward to seeing where you’re heading, and I’m sure we’ll run into each other again, online or elsewhere…

7. entered 15 September 2011 @ 12:48 pm

8. entered 15 September 2011 @ 1:34 pm

Thanks dude for putting up with all our shite. :)

9. Noah Levy
    entered 15 September 2011 @ 2:23 pm

Any thoughts on moving to New York? I know cool start-up that’s hiring for a CTO position.

10. Clement Wong
    entered 15 September 2011 @ 4:17 pm

THANKS for everything you have done!!

11. entered 15 September 2011 @ 4:54 pm

Don’t you… forget about me.

12. Rob Sayre
    entered 15 September 2011 @ 11:17 pm

Thank you for changing my life.

13. entered 16 September 2011 @ 1:29 am

[...] Shaver’s personal blog: It’s starting to get around, because my co-workers are bad at secrets, so I’ll summarize for [...]

14. entered 16 September 2011 @ 4:17 am

So long and thanks for all the fish Mike.

15. Alex Rootham
    entered 16 September 2011 @ 7:42 am

Will you now have more time for Titan?

16. entered 16 September 2011 @ 12:33 pm

Thanks for bringing me back into the Mozilla fold, and for inspiring your entire team.

17. Murali Nandigama
    entered 16 September 2011 @ 11:19 pm

This would be a great loss to the engineering @ Mozilla. You are one among the very few VPs that I came across in my career who has not become a ‘have been a techie once’ kind of guy. Good luck with every thing you chose to do ahead.

18. entered 17 September 2011 @ 2:44 am

why you going off? you are awesome :) wishes ahead great life

19. entered 17 September 2011 @ 4:34 am

Gather your notes so you can write a book when the dust settles. The world needs to learn what it takes to make projects like Mozilla successful. Mozilla charted a new course in open source. We could all learn from the lessons as long as you write them down. – Chuck

20. shawnG
    entered 17 September 2011 @ 4:11 pm

Wow so my summer internship is actually your last summer with Mozilla too – let’s see how everything goes and good luck Shaver!

21. entered 17 September 2011 @ 8:08 pm

I heart Mike Shaver…

Mike Shaver has been my compass at Mozilla for more than a decade. When I can’t quite see through the fog in front of me, I have always been able to turn to him knowing that he points due north for Mozilla. Mike’s moving on and I’m going to miss him…

22. entered 18 September 2011 @ 12:57 am

Oh man, where to begin. I’ll never forget the dare to run naked across Google’s complex from the old HQ in Mountain View.

Sorry that it took so long to bail you out of jail that night.

Ok, so we don’t have a tight personal relationship, but I’m well aware of the impact that you’ve made and the contributions so, as an end user, unofficial Mozillian, and Internet user, sincere thanks for everything. I wish you well in your next and future ventures.

23. entered 19 September 2011 @ 1:54 pm

I know this comment’s a little late to the party, but when I first heard of this, I was kinda stunned. Since then I have realized something, though: Wherever you go, you’ll never be gone from Mozilla. This organization, project and community has parts of you deeply incorporated – so much that you are always with Mozilla and Mozilla will always be with you, no matter where you are. I hope you feel that we (as in Mozilla) will always be in your heart as much as you are in ours.

Spread the Mozilla DNA where you go, make your way a good one, have fun – and keep in touch!

24. mauro
    entered 20 September 2011 @ 5:48 am

Thanks for all man.

25. entered 20 September 2011 @ 10:50 am

Best of luck, Mike. Thanks so much for everything you’ve done for WebM.

–JL

26. entered 26 September 2011 @ 3:28 am

When you sent the email and we read it, hundreds of people in the canteen fell silent for a good hour. I guess that this leaked because you will leave such a hole. You really will be missed.