engines half, straight ahead

As I mentioned in my overlong post about my bipolar disorder, the treatment plan informed by my new diagnosis is working quite well. Well enough, in fact, that I was able to give a short talk at the amazing CUSEC conference last week. That success was a major milestone for me, and a proof point that I was doing as well as I had hoped.

So this week, I’m going to be working half-time from the office (mornings), as I build a better structure to some parts of my life, and generally rebuild my brain strength. I still have some days with more anxiety than is usual or healthy, I still cry a little easily (like a bit while writing this post), and my stamina for difficult or frustrating work is about half of where I need it to get back to it. But hot damn, I can work again, and it feels fantastic.

I can’t write about my recovery without mentioning the support that’s made it possible. If someone dear to you is suffering with mental illness, know that your help and support — even just words of well wishing — can literally change their life.

7 comments to “engines half, straight ahead”

1. pipes
    entered 19 January 2011 @ 1:15 am

Kia kaha! It gets easier :)

2. entered 19 January 2011 @ 1:26 am

Hey Mike,

We never met, I went to Mozilla in Toronto to work for a bit over the Summer, but you were away.

One of my good friends has bipolar disorder, and it makes his life — especially in high school where certain kids can be brutal — very difficult. Great to see you’re back at work, hope everything goes well.

• Nick
  3. entered 19 January 2011 @ 1:27 am

Glad to see you back and doing some work! I’ve got ADHD myself and my girlfriend is bi-polar, so I do have an inkling of a clue as to what you’re going through. Anyways, welcome back! =)

4. Nathan
    entered 19 January 2011 @ 7:28 am

It is a rough thing to go through…but know that your words and experiences have been extremely helpful to us other sufferers.

5. Tavish
    entered 19 January 2011 @ 6:28 pm

Thanks for speaking briefly about mental health at the beginning of your CUSEC talk. Honesty and maturity like that is rare. Talking about it in front of a group of possibly immature students takes balls.

The rest of the talk was great too. I know you think you give answers that are too long, but the insane balance you brought to complex issues (e.g. IE) makes up for it. Don’t be hard on yourself; the answers were exactly the length they should have been.

6. skierpage
    entered 21 January 2011 @ 10:19 am

OK, here you go then, srsly: words of well wishing words of well wishing words of well wishing!

7. entered 31 January 2011 @ 8:45 am

Hey Mike,

We met at CUSEC, when you came by our table to ask our thoughts on the state of in-browser developer tools.

Just came here to say that your talk was the highlight of the conference. Although I graduated over 3 years ago, I was still really inspired to achieve more.

Cheers!