Logitech G7

I impulsed into Best Buy yesterday on the way back from an entirely wonderful day-or-so at Geneva Park with Dad and Lisa and the girls. I’ve been looking to get a new mouse for some time, as my MX900 is staying charged for shorter and shorter periods of time, and my charging discipline is not really all that exceptional. Vlad gtalked me through some comparisons of the Logitech G7 and MX1000 mice, and I settled on the G7. Glad I did!

It has a pair of batteries, so one can always be charged, and changing them is painless; it doesn’t require an external power supply, and can even charge (slowly) off of an unpowered USB hub; it’s light and comfortable in the hand; the RF transmitter/receiver widget is basically a little USB key that plugs into the passthrough port on the (smallish, pleasant-looking) charger — or can be quickly popped into another machine to use the mouse there, without dragging the base around or fiddling with Bluetooth pairings. And while I thought that the adjustable DPI buttons were just a gimmick, I’ve found that being able to switch between fine control and quick movements is quite nice for fiddling with diagrams and targetting pixelated fauna. Deb has had some trouble getting her G7 to work with a Mac, but mine fell in love with my MBP at first sight, including the side-scrolling and extra (some might say “excess”) buttons.

So basically this is the wireless mouse that I would have designed, if I were as good at designing solutions as I am at enumerating problems. You can take that as either an endorsement or a cautionary note, as you choose.

Then Vlad told me it was about half the price at Newegg, which is not something that a true friend would have done.

one comment to “Logitech G7”

1. Bryan
    entered 4 July 2006 @ 4:21 pm

Nice… but how come the newer Logitech models only have a back button on the side, and not also a forward button? I like my MX510 and the newer MX518 for this feature. Still haven’t been compelled to take the cordless jump. I’ve no problems with corded mice or keyboards.

2. entered 4 July 2006 @ 4:24 pm

Although I’m not actively looking for a new mouse (mostly because my hands aren’t twinging and I can thus happily stay on the trackball fulltime), I’d be interested in the highlights of that comparison between the G7 and the MX1000.

3. Richard
    entered 4 July 2006 @ 6:10 pm

What’s the middle button like?

I bought a G5 (the wired equivalent) and it’s almost perfect, but the middle mouse button is nearly impossible to press properly – you always end up activating the left tilt instead/aswell (and the right tilt is also difficult to use). I’d go as far to say it’s bad enough that they should have gone back to the drawing board. I use the middle button a LOT – I set it to jump in games and I’m a Firefox user (nuff said). So I’ve had to set the left tilt to middle button instead. This works okay but makes having left/right tilt buttons less useful.

So when you press the middle button, is that what happens? Are the left/right tilt buttons easy to use?

4. entered 5 July 2006 @ 12:19 pm

I’m still waiting for my dream set. I still have a wireless combo they gave away for free on their anniversary (I think 20th). Perhaps my requirements are too strict:

• Wireless
    • Rechargable mouse (a must, as my current one is AA, and a giant waste)
    • RF (not Bluetooth)
    • Doesn’t get upset if you hook it up with a KVM via USB (some just don’t work well with a KVM).
    • Has at least some bonus functionality when hooked to the mac (media, volume, keys, etc.)

I really like the G7, it looks like a really great mouse.

Perhaps I’m just picky. Right now I have an old cheap wired mouse ($15 logitech) and wireless keyboard.

Maybe geeks are picky… but with good reason.

5. peaks
    entered 6 July 2006 @ 3:55 pm

Hmm, i have a MX 510. I’m not reallly a gamer, but i lovet. Logitwch rules. But does anyone know if there is possible to make the side buttons to switch tabs instead of going back and forth on a page?

6. entered 6 July 2006 @ 7:18 pm

I have the G5, which is 2 worse than yours, so I am jealous. I picked it because gamers preferred it over the G7 — although I don’t play games anymore, and I did it just for the street cred.

I used to have a Logitech Bluetooth set (kind of like an mx900) but the keyboard destroyed my wrists and the mouse had crappy tracking in games (jumpy).

The newest addition to my setup is my M$ Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 which I highly recommend for anybody worried about repetitive stress injuries caused by typing too damn much. Yeah, it’s Microsoft but it’s the best keyboard I’ve ever had (beats out the old school Natural Elites for comfort).

7. entered 19 November 2007 @ 1:36 pm

Does anyone know where you can get Mac drivers for the G7 logitech mouse? I have a macpro and it doesn’t work at all. Rather a waste of 85.00 so until I can find a driver, I am not a happy camper.

Logitech doesn’t support their g7 on Mac.

Cathrine levan