getting my brag on

On Monday morning I flew to California for a workshop and a bevy of meetings, as I do on a fair number of Monday mornings lately. While I was in a meeting Monday afternoon, my wife was busy buying us a house. She was ably assisted by our great agent and the inestimably friendly other Mike, but I was tremendously proud that she was able to juggle the large sums of money, competitive bidding strategy, myriad paperwork and general waiting-and-wondering without missing a beat. If ever you have to buy a house while travelling, I highly recommend her services. (That link to will probably rot relatively quickly; I’ll have to get Madhava to take some photos of the new place to replace it.)

On Tuesday, she put all that behind her, donned her Super Librarian hat, and taught a few hundred lucky U of T med students about how to properly search, research, and I suppose reresearch, as part of their Determinants of Community Health class. By all accounts — admittedly, relayed through a somewhat giddy Tyla — she did a bang-up job, which of course surprises nobody but possibly her. And all that on what some might consider to be rather short notice.

I couldn’t be prouder, I have to say. And she’s all mine! Nyah-nyah.

7 comments to “getting my brag on”

1. Auntie L
    entered 27 October 2005 @ 2:41 pm

Congratulations to you both, I’m very excited for you. And special congrats to Tyla for the whole U of T thing she has every right to be giddy! You are indeed a very lucky man, sure hope you’re not wasting your money on lottery tickets, I mean, how much luck can one man have? I can’t wait to see the pictures. Auntie L.

2. Tyla
    entered 27 October 2005 @ 8:07 pm

Although — I think the fact that I was so nervous made the class sound larger than it actually was. Hundreds of med students is a bit high — fifty is more like it.

On the other hand, I really am awesome for managing to buy a house! (Special thanks go out to Beltzner, though, who cleverly distracted me during the wait by baiting me about Google. Nothing like a good rant and a beer to pass the time.)

Mike, I can’t wait until you’re home so we can discuss roof repairs and start comparing different shades of beige. We’re going to have a lot of fun being boring. ;)

3. entered 28 October 2005 @ 1:51 pm

“…and start comparing different shades of beige.”

My money’s on ecru.

4. Auntie L
    entered 31 October 2005 @ 2:41 pm

Photos? Photos?

Us out of towners are dying for photos.

Pretty please?

5. entered 4 November 2005 @ 2:08 pm

super proud of both of you!!… long as we’re getting our brag on. I do love to paint and flip through old copies of fashion magazines. I also clean, and have a break after finals!

6. Audrey
    entered 11 November 2005 @ 10:59 pm

Congratulations! Now I will have someone to compare home decorating magazines with! And mortgage rates, and renovations, and trips to Ikea . . . it never ends. Seriously, though, congratulations.

7. Audrey
    entered 11 November 2005 @ 11:04 pm

and roof repairs – i need to look into roof repairs too! and as long as you’re comparing paints, my friend did all her walls in textured suede paints and they look fabulous. And I’m getting a book called “Walls that Wow” that has all kinds of creative ideas for textured patterns on walls made of fabric, foil, or differed coloured stripes of paper paint.