paging dr. mercator

My favourite email tidbit from today:

Mike, I’m afraid the promotions we run in the Americas Division are not applicable in <Vendor> Canada. Also, we’re not allowed to ship outside of the United States (not even to Canada). My apologies for any confusion the prior e-mail might have caused.

7 comments to “paging dr. mercator”

1. entered 19 October 2005 @ 12:18 am

Man, we totally need our American overlords to invade and take over our country so that we don’t have to deal with this kind of crap anymore.

2. entered 19 October 2005 @ 11:04 am

Second that. All I want is to be an American. Or have a Green Card. Is that too much to hope for?

Life in an American ruled Canada would be much more sane and less hypocritical (from the gov’t bureaucracy and personal tax read: personal bottom line perspective).

Is there a petition somewhere I can sign?

3. entered 19 October 2005 @ 11:07 am

I might believe that more if I didn’t bother to read as much as I do about the relative expenditures and processes in the US, for things like setting up a new business, entering or exiting the country, or the relative size of our tax codes.

I’m not going to touch the “less hypocritical” part, because I think it will just fall over with the next stiff wind. (Tax and spend, tariff-protecting Republicans and “don’t ask don’t tell” Democrats, anyone?)

4. entered 19 October 2005 @ 11:34 am

Don’t take my recent post personal like, okay? I finished it before I read your response to my comment.

Further on my comment here — I wasn’t talking about politics but day to day living in these parts of North America.

Now that you’ve gone there, though, IMNSHO, if Chretien and the sponsorship scandal had gone down in the US — he and a lot of others who are getting slapped on the wrist here (after the usual Canadian slow start on investigating this) would be in jail already.

Second, Canada taxes and spends with the worst of them and propagandizes the services the enormous tax bites are providing. By using taxes to provide what other countries (some) allow individuals to take care of for themselves, individuals lose the choice of putting their own after-tax income into what matters for them. Right now the people in Canada who take care of themselves by not smoking, getting adequate exercise and generally being as healthy as they can influence (ignoring genes and environments that are beyond their control) are getting not one perk for doing so. Instead, they get to work more (fewer sick days), generate more taxes to support health care and procedures for people who are drinking, smoking and sitting in front of the boob toob most of the time.

I’m just warming up if you want to get further into this… I’ve lived in both places and I’d rather be unemployed in the states where age discrimination is illegal than looking for work here in Canada. Honestly.

5. entered 19 October 2005 @ 12:12 pm

No, I don’t want to get further into this, good call. I’ll thank you to leave your politics on your blog in the future, and not in comments on mine, where I will feel somewhat impelled to respond to both fact and structure.

6. entered 19 October 2005 @ 5:06 pm

As much as I love a good debate, I shall refrain from responding to comments in the area of politics as requested. Feel free to delete whatever you’re finding out of line.

7. J.
    entered 23 October 2005 @ 6:19 pm

I like Canada. All my favorite comic books are printed there. :)