pitiful attempt

On Monday night, after reflecting on a conversation with my new doctor, my upcoming travel schedule, and the fact that I never took the vacation I originally planned for August, I decided that I’d try to take the rest of this week off.

Tuesday already had a Lightning phone conference scheduled, and I was also roped into a last minute review and a Business Week call.

I’m not very good at taking vacation, though you should presume that your mail is among the ~250 unread, non-bugmail messages awaiting my attention already.

Wednesday was better, though, in that I didn’t check my email until I got some urgent-sounding requests to submit information for payroll and benefits (yeah, that sure gets my attention!), and mostly spent the day playing video games and watching TiVo goodies. Eventually, I had to put pants on and go see some houses with my wife and our excellent agent. And then head up to Beltzner’s for Leafs and Veronica. I’m sure they were all glad that I did the pants thing too.

Tomorrow? More slackassery, a bit of Miriam-visiting and some tasty La Palette. I should have this vacation thing all figured out just in time to drive to Ottawa for Canucksgiving, and then fly to California for the week. Rule.

8 comments to “pitiful attempt”

1. Amos
    entered 6 October 2005 @ 1:48 am

Hope we’ll get to see you while you’re in town. :)

2. entered 6 October 2005 @ 8:16 am

This little word is the key to balance: “no”. Not “NO!” or “N.O.”, just a quiet, confidently stated, firm little syllable. I have found that if you start off with “no” as a default position, a considered change to “okay” is more welcomed by those making the requests (aka demands) than when the opposite positions are the case. (Meaning default “yes”, reconsidered to “no”.)

When the default is “no”, the times that you do (surprise!) say the opposite are much more remembered and appreciated. Also, “no” is a no-fail commitment, so you’ll become known for keeping your word when you say that as well as when you decide you can deliver on a “yes”. I learned this a long long long time ago while working as an insignificant (in their opinion, not mine!) teller at one of the big banks here in Canada. A good lesson for the mothering that was my duty years later, I’m sure you’ll agree. :-)

[I think this could also be called managing expectations. I had a great mechanic (Mr. Goto) who helped keep my Jeep on the road who understood this very well: his bills regularly came in right on the estimate or significantly under. Very few displeased customers there!]

(Of course, this rule has an exception and that would be … moi! :-)

3. entered 6 October 2005 @ 12:15 pm

Oooh, I like E02 — the three-bedroom house. Looks very nice! How’s the house hunt going?

Oh, and congratulations on managing even a day of vacation!

4. Rishi
    entered 6 October 2005 @ 9:09 pm

There’s nothing like good hockey (especially when the Leafs win!). ;)

5. entered 11 October 2005 @ 2:31 pm

The Leafs… win?

6. entered 11 October 2005 @ 2:33 pm

Could happen!

7. Rebecca
    entered 11 October 2005 @ 10:50 pm

Hi Mike – I can’t find a “contact” link anywhere. Are you easily reachable?

8. Ilker
    entered 19 October 2005 @ 10:25 am

Would you beleive I came across this Blog whilst Googling my own name in an attempt to ascentain the level of exposure I’d suffered at the hands of the internet!

Although I must say that I’ve heard of your various successes via multiple parties throughout my life since High School and our time in that small start-up in a back room at Carleton U, I was quite suprised to see this entry. That during a day’s vacation you would sit and play video games. Not to presume of course, I was quite pleased to see that the Shadow Run hasn’t been purged from you completely by the adult world!

It makes me wonder whether not perhaps all of us who shared those adventures still slip into the virtual world for a bit of R&R…I know I do.

Cheers, Ilker