a damn shame

Yeah, I’ve been slacking pretty hard on this web-log front. Lots of reasons, none of them very good. I’m hoping to get back on the horse a little bit now — I had, in fact, hoped to do so yesterday — so we’ll see if I have any readers left!

Some stuff I’d like to write about over the next week or so: * Lightning, a project I’m leading to stick Sunbird and Thunderbird in some sort of rigorously engineered software blender. * My work to make Mono talk to XPCOM, recently landed in the Mozilla tree in hopes of tricking roc into largely taking it over. * Some upcoming speaking engagements, confirmed and tentative, so that you can figure out where to catch a nap at various exciting conferences. * Some thoughts on software security, user protection, code auditing and “blame management” which will likely reveal how naive I continue to be about these things. * How you should properly observe my upcoming birthday, regardless of geography or relationship. * My most excellent Christmas vacation. * Why I’m going to the Game Developers Conference again this year, even though nobody has ever paid me a dime to work on a game, and won’t in the foreseeable future. (It’s probably not what you think.)

Or, you know, I could just disappear again, under the weight of my own mounting ambition and inability to manage my time. Were I you, I’d place bets very carefully, if at all.

11 comments to “a damn shame”

1. entered 2 February 2005 @ 5:05 am

Mono through XPCOM is very exciting. Is there a BMO tracking bug?

2. Rob
    entered 2 February 2005 @ 8:47 am

I think it’s safe to say that as long as RSS works, even the loneliest of diaries can still get readers.

3. entered 2 February 2005 @ 11:21 am

This list pleases me, as I’ve wanted to yabber with you about issues 1, 2 and 4, am always interested in actually catching you at a speaking engagement, and have been shockingly slack in socializing with friends this month and would love to know more about 5, 6 and 7.

My RSS reader also remains locked to this station.

Oh, and when it arrives, I’m guessing that you might really enjoy meeting my iPod Shuffle.

4. entered 2 February 2005 @ 1:06 pm

I’m way ahead of you on the birthday thing. In actual fact, way behind, too, since you’re going to get the intended gift from last year (long story). It is so incredibly unique and wonderful that it will cover two year’s worth of birthday gifting. At least that is my hope.

If I can also accomplish whatever it is you are going to instruct your fan club on, then I will be happy to do so. I have some ideas as to what your wishes may be, but will refrain from guessing.

Love you. /mom

5. entered 2 February 2005 @ 1:09 pm

typo corrected

6. mhoye
    entered 2 February 2005 @ 3:55 pm

…alcohol?

7. stonedyak
    entered 2 February 2005 @ 7:21 pm

So… if Mono can talk to XPCOM, does that mean that .NET on Windows will be able to talk to XPCOM? Or would that require separate integration code?

It would be interesting to have the option of XUL as a cross-platform GUI for .NET/Mono apps.

8. Mike Hoye
    entered 2 February 2005 @ 11:48 pm

I understand you want your old phone back, the one from the pre-everything-from-Nokia-looks-like-ass days.

You can probably get it here.

9. Peter Willis
    entered 6 February 2005 @ 10:36 am

Hey, some colleagues and I really want to help on the Lightning project. We think it’s a very important project, one that could be the next killer app (a cross-platform standards-based open groupware client! and it’s not even web-based! ;). If you could email me with some way of chatting with you, instant messaging/irc/whatever you like, I would like to learn more about the project, see what you guys have planned, and how we can help.

10. entered 7 February 2005 @ 11:51 pm
  11. entered 8 February 2005 @ 10:47 am

While Mr. P. Ejaculation has a good point, I think you might want to consider changing the MTCloseComments length to be 4 or 5 days. Those wily comment spammers are getting quicker. :(