moire-coloured glasses

The monitor at home is starting to make these periodic colour-and-brightness shifts that lead me to believe that it’s on its way out. I’d like to buy one of these little babiesZach, Phil and the boys at AnandTech really like theirs — but Tyla says I have to find a new job before I can do that.

She’s no fun at all.

7 comments to “moire-coloured glasses”

1. Nicholas Henke
    entered 6 April 2004 @ 7:26 pm

The only thing better than one of those is 2. There really is nothing like working in 1600×2400 on 40″ of LCD.

2. entered 6 April 2004 @ 8:09 pm

The one your saw on my desk is the Samsung 191T+, and I have nothing but praise for it. The place I got it from is now listing it at CAD $924.85, if that makes any difference to you.

3. entered 6 April 2004 @ 8:11 pm

I have an SGI 1600SW for sale, if you’re interested :) No Multi-link, which is why I’m selling it, but it does have a 16×9 aspect ratio and a 1600×1024 resolution. It’s schweet. I also love my NEC 1765 and Sony SDM-M81. I am never going back to CRT for my workstation needs.

4. entered 7 April 2004 @ 11:41 am

Oh god, apparently there’s some secret buy-3-get-1-free deal going on at Dell too, to help their end-of-quarter numbers. I don’t think I can resist.

5. entered 7 April 2004 @ 5:52 pm

My jaw just about fell out of my head when I saw this one turn up at work.

6. George
    entered 7 April 2004 @ 5:59 pm

Strange… my laptop has 1900 by 1200 resolution (Dell Inspiron 8500). Shouldn’t you be going for something better than just 1600 X 1200?

This isn’t really tongue-in-cheek… it seems to me that if Dell can cram this mother into a laptop affordably (barely), then in a full-size monitor they should have no problem making it even work cheaply. Is it that 1600 X 1200 is simply deemed sufficient?

I guess excessive resolution doesn’t matter that much for coding. Nor does it really help me, except for line work where it’s really nice to see the difference between what’s on my laptop screen on what’s on the crappy School flatscreens.

Anyway you should resist these whims, Shaver. By your wife something pretty, like shares in a military contractor or something.

Cheers,

George

7. entered 9 April 2004 @ 10:59 am

I have never fully understood why laptop screens are not immediately reproduced in standalone versions, though I suspect that the size of the laptop screen is an issue, and that putting that screen at the usual desktop-monitor distance renders it less useful. I’m also quite interested in the 16ms+24bit characteristics of this panel, which I suspect are not present on your laptop display — they sure aren’t on mine.

I went in with Bliz and Deb and Rob to take advantage of the 4-for-the-price-of-3 deal, so once I go down and pick up mine in a few weeks, you can come up and see it in all its glory.