twilight zone

Ever get totally kicked in the teeth by a comment (or short email) from someone which reveals an enormous gap between how you percieve something and how they percieve something? Ever have that happen a few dozen hours after the last conversation with that person, in which it very much seemed that everything was well-aligned, and things were proceeding well?

Yeah, me too.

(Honestly, this is the biggest “what the hell?” moment I’ve had in quite some time, and it’s not like my professional life has been devoid of this sort of disconnect over the last year or two. I’m flabbergasted.)

7 comments to “twilight zone”

1. janice
    entered 22 March 2004 @ 8:18 am

I experienced these gaps all my life. More so on the personal than professional front. Sympathies.

2. Raul
    entered 23 March 2004 @ 1:50 am

What the hell happened!?!? You get shitcanned or something? :D

3. entered 23 March 2004 @ 2:50 am

No, but I appreciate your concern! When I’m shitcanned, it will be very obvious, I assure you.

4. janice
    entered 23 March 2004 @ 7:41 am

I am getting concerned now that you haven’t posted anything else. You can’t post that the world makes no sense and then leave me hanging!! Concerned people all over the world are waiting to hear more or at least that you are okay.

To whom should I write to protest the rent in the fabric of rationality that caused this peak WTH moment?

5. Mike Hoye
    entered 24 March 2004 @ 5:26 pm

Well, better that call come from work than from home.

6. Justin
    entered 24 March 2004 @ 5:31 pm

Shaver: that totally sucks, I sympathize completely. I had this happen to me (in a personal capacity) about a year and a half ago. I was being kind and utterly lacking malice, and to get kicked in the teeth like that was just so… I thought someone had punched me in the stomach. Realizing right away that the other person was being a jackass helped, but still, I know what it’s like to get the mental wind kicked out of you, seemingly from left field. I can’t think of anyone I’d wish it on, and you certainly don’t deserve it.

7. janice
    entered 25 March 2004 @ 4:15 pm

Home, work…wherever.

Having had this happen on the job more than once, I know moral support helps. Folks who’ve “been there” are sometimes the best support.

Hopefully the next post will confirm that things are back to, or approaching, unflabbergasted status.