callin’ all’a y’all

This weekend was already set up to suck a bit.

• Tyla is away on Valentine’s Day — about which I am not at all angry, I hasten to add, but it does make the house feel a little empty. Turnabout is fair play, I suppose.

• There’s a major test shot going on at work this weekend in preparation for the release of the best software to ever bear the Lustre name, so I was going to be doing a lot of test watching and wrangling, probably minimal partying.

• I’m still behind on some work from this week, which I was hoping to cram into the gaps in testing.

But then I found out that some people had got where they shouldn’t have got, and I had to spend 12 hours buying new drives, installing a fresh OS, copying user data and whatnot over after inspecting it for damage, and generally cursing the world.

At least I know what our near-worst-case scenario is for disaster recovery. And we do have more disk space now…

I need a huge frigging drink now.

6 comments to “callin’ all’a y’all”

1. entered 15 February 2004 @ 11:34 am

gladly buy you one next time you’re in ottawa or I’m passing though montreal. Don’t stress too much Mike :)

-s

2. Mike Hoye
    entered 15 February 2004 @ 1:03 pm

Whoa.

What happened, exactly?

3. entered 15 February 2004 @ 3:03 pm

I’m not yet sure exactly which down-rev piece of software they took advantage of, but bitchcake had a “surprise guest administrator”, so I had to scrub things down to the metal and restore them.

Pretty much back to normal now, I think.

(Sean: Actually, I live in Toronto now.)

Mike

4. entered 15 February 2004 @ 11:31 pm

Whoa… I thought you were talking about a lab system. Thanks for getting things back to uncompromised status.

5. entered 16 February 2004 @ 3:03 am

If there’s a compromise at secure US gov’t installation, you won’t be reading about it here, let me assure you.

6. entered 16 February 2004 @ 7:06 am

No, I would hope not. But I meant ‘test lab’ – see? Your post orginally said you’d anticipated this weekend would involve some testing ‘at work’ and I associated that with the testing I used to do (ah, the good old days…) at work in a controlled lab environment (the best way to do testing IMO)

Thanks again for fixing the system for your online community of which I have been a rather inactive member (soon to change!).

I’m more than a little intrigued by the need for many new disk drives? Was this just an opportune moment to address an insufficiency of storage space, or required for the recovery?